Francis Picabia. The Spring. Saint Cloud, spring or summer 1912

Francis Picabia

The Spring

Saint Cloud, spring or summer 1912

Medium
Oil on canvas
Dimensions
8' 2 1/4" x 8' 2 1/8" (249.6 x 249.3 cm)
Credit
Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer Collection, given by their family
Object number
1411.1974
Copyright
© 2016 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris
Department
Painting and Sculpture
This work is not on view.
Francis Picabia has 19 works online.
There are 2,241 paintings online.

Picabia painted La Source (The Spring) after taking a long road trip with two friends, the composer Claude Debussy and the poet Guillaume Apollinaire, in the summer of 1912. On the way home, as the conversation among the three men turned to the possibilities of nonfigurative art, Picabia had demanded of his more skeptical companions, "Are blue and red unintelligible? Are not the circle and the triangle, volumes and colors, as intelligible as this table?" He began work on La Source soon afterward and showed it that October at an important annual exhibition in Paris, the Salon d’Automne. Also including abstract works by František Kupka and Fernand Leger, that year’s edition of the Salon marked the public debut of abstraction in the city.

La Source invokes the painting of Pablo Picasso in both its Rose Period palette and its fragmented planes, yet its large scale, crude paint handling, and erotic undertones, along with its defiant breach of the figurative tradition, also suggest a parody of Cubism's refinement. Upon seeing La Source, a critic wrote that Picabia had "set the year's record for fantasy" with "ugly" works that "evoke incrusted linoleum."

Gallery label from Inventing Abstraction, 1910–1925, December 23, 2012–April 15, 2013

This work is included in the Provenance Research Project, which investigates the ownership history of works in MoMA's collection.
1914 - 1915 (?), Francis Picabia, Paris.
[1915, Little Gallery of the Photo Secession, a.k.a. “291” (Alfred Stieglitz & Marius de Zayas), and/or Modern Gallery (Marius de Zayas), New York.]
1915 (?), Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer, Washington, D.C., and Mount Kisco, N.Y., probably acquired from Marius de Zayas.
1974, The Museum of Modern Art, New York, acquired as gift from Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer's family.

If you have any questions or information to provide about the listed works, please e-mail provenance@moma.org or write to:

Provenance Research Project
The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
New York, NY 10019

Licensing of MoMA images and videos is handled by Art Resource (North America) and Scala Archives (all other geographic locations). All requests should be addressed directly to those agencies, which supply high-resolution digital image files provided to them directly by the Museum.

Requests for permission to reprint text from MoMA publications should be addressed to text_permissions@moma.org.

This record is a work in progress. If you have additional information or spotted an error, please send feedback to digital@moma.org.